Saturday, July 15, 2017

Randy and Katy's Tomato Sauce

I last made this recipe in 2005.  I had printed the recipe and saved it in my canning files.  The website I got it from is no longer there.   See my additions in bold.   I got 18 8 oz jelly jars
.




Randy and Katy's Tomato Sauce

10#  tomatoes, peeled and cored(Beth puts them through a strainer/food mill first)
3 medium onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, mince
3 T olive oil
1 1/2 t oregano
2 bay leaves
1 T salt
1 t pepper
11/2 t crushed red pepper
1 t supar
1/2-1 jalapeno
1 green pepper, chopped finely
fresh basil


Cook onion, garlic, green pepper and jalapeno in oil in a large saucepot until tender.  Process tomatoes in a food mill(or roughly chop them, or put in blender to puree).  Add all ingredients to the onion mixture and simmer uncovered 2-3 hours until thick.  Stir frequently to prevent scorching.  

Prepare canning jars(I have them hot in the dishwasher) and hot lids and rings.  Carefully pour the sauce into jars, leaving a 1/4 in head space.  Wipe rim clean and place lid and ring on jar.  Process in hot water bath for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment